Custom Search

Monday, March 2, 2009

Renew road tax the easy way

I don't know about you, but I am very happy with the online renewal of Malaysian road tax through MYEG Services

You don't have to leave your house, and queue at the Road Transport Department office, or the Post office. They charge a service fee of 6% on the road tax amount, and a delivery fee of RM 6.00, all in I had to pay RM 8.75 for the service. Compare this to engaging a runner, I need to pay at least Rm10, or if I go there myself, I will save the Ringgit but I will be penny wise, pound foolish, because the 1 hour or so at the queue will cost me some Rm 50 or so (petrol, toll, and the opportunity cost of earning my keep)

You need to have a valid insurance policy, and you must renew your road tax within 7days of the expiry date.

I had an insurance policy that is valid from 28/8/08-27/8/09, but I only logged in to the website on 4/9/08 to renew my road tax, so I could only renew for 6 months which means it is now expiring on 3/3/09. So I am now renewing my road tax for the 2nd 6 months of the insurance period.

And the best part is, in Sep last year, they helped me process the full amount of Malaysian fuel rebate of Rm 625 and banked to my bank account.


Another thing, you don't have to produce the registration card to renew your road tax, and that was my main reason I chose the online renewal in the first place. I couldn't find the registration card, and after 8 days of searching, I somehow 'listened to*' the advertisement on the radio, and went home and logged on to the site. Never looked back.

* Listening is not the same as hearing.





0 comments:

Feed Shark