Custom Search

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Happy Diwali

Happy Diwali to all Hindus.

Diwali (or Deepavali) is a celebration of good over evil. Oil lamps are lit up at the homes to celebrate the occasion. Also expect to see kolam, which is broken rice scattered outside the home. The broken rice is 'scattered' in a beautiful pattern; the chirping of birds who feed on the rice is a sweet voice to hear on this happy occasion.

Somehow or other, I have always had Indians as my immediate neighbours, and my neighbours have just delivered some Tosai and Putu Mayam with chicken curry over to my home. Yummy!



We will go Diwali visiting to our neighbours homes later in the day.

Our ex-neighbour in Melaka is an Indian family. This year we may not visit them because my father is immobile and we are in KL, but I remember many Deepavali visits to Auntie Chandra and Uncle Allagapan's house, and vice versa for Chinese New Year. This ex-neighbour has been our family friend for ages. I remember staying the night over at their home when my mum had to go to the hospital, when we were still in our early teens. He also stood as a guarantor for my study loan, and were there at my graduation; we were there when the grandmother (whom we called 'Achi') passed away a few years ago. Happy Deepavali Auntie Chandra, Hemalatha, Malini, and Kumar.

0 comments:

Feed Shark